- Tobacco is used to make tobacco products that can be smoked, chewed, sucked, or snuffed.
Types of Tobacco Products
- Electronic cigarettes
- They are recognized by several different names and are at times called e-hookahs, vapes, vape pens, electronic nicotine delivery systems, and tank systems.
- They can also be utilized to administer cannabis and other substances.
- They come in different sizes and shapes and almost all have a heating component, a battery, and a spot to hold a fluid.
- Some e-cigarettes resemble regular cigarettes, pipes, or cigars while others resemble pens, USB flash drives, and other daily items. Also, larger devices like tank systems do not resemble other tobacco products.
- E-cigs are devices, which administer aerosols to the users by heating a liquid, which often contains flavourings, nicotine, and other chemical substances.
- The fluid is at times referred to as vape juice, vape liquid, or e-liquid.
- Users inhale vapes aerosol into their alveolus and passers-by can as well inhale this aerosol when users exhale into the atmosphere.
- E-cig aerosol is not a non-dangerous water vapour.
- Thus, the e-cig aerosol, which users inhale from the gadget and breathe out can contain toxic and possibly harmful substances like nicotine, cancerous chemicals, inflammable organic compounds, heavy metals like lead, tin, and nickel, flavouring including diacetyl, a chemical associated with a grave lung condition as well as ultrathin particles, which are inhalable into the lungs.
- It is challenging for e-cigarette consumers to notice what e-cig products contain. For instance, some e-cigs advertised as containing no nicotine have been discovered to contain it.
- CDC, U.S. FDA, local and state health agencies, and other public and clinical health partners probed a multistate severe pulmonary disease outbreak linked with e-cig product usage. Specific e-cigarette products include liquids, devices, cartridges, and refill pods.
- The probe is going on although a cause has not been identified. However, every reported case contains a history of e-cigarette product use.
- The latest information on the outbreak of severe pulmonary disease reveals that;
- As of 2019 Sept. 6. More than 450 possible lung illness cases linked to e-cigarette usage were reported to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention from 33 states.
- 5 death cases have been established in Indiana, Minnesota, Oregon, and California.
- No proof of contagious disease has been established, thus respiratory illnesses are possibly linked to chemical exposure. Notably, initial public announcements from the probe reveal clinical correspondences among cases.
- However, the probe has not pointed out any particular substance or e-cig product associated with all cases. Several patients report utilizing e-cig products with liquids containing cannabinoid products including tetrahydrocannabinol.
Finally, the CDC is continuing with the investigation and more updated statistical information and data on e-cigarettes will be provided.
- While the military puts their lives on the line to safeguard the country, they have increasingly continued to expose their lives because of their extensive use of cigarettes.
- Analysis by the Food and Drug Administration, 30% of the total military veterans reported to be using tobacco in different forms such a cigarette, pipe tobacco, and E-cigarettes.
- According to report by FDA, approximately 36% of the military personnel agree to have used tobacco, but 11% agrees to be daily smokers.
- However, because of the measures put in place to counter cigarette smoking in the military, there has been a considerably reduction in the number of military people smoking since 2011. The percentage of military personnel that smoke compared to the general public.
- The major cause of tobacco smoking among the military is largely attributed to the stress the hardship that they face during a military combat. Therefore, most military personnel argue that they embrace smoking as a solace from their daily challenges.
- The use of tobacco among the military is associated with increased risk in their health and wellbeing of the military, given their tough work environment.
- Diverse groups and organizations have been pushing for new measures to address smoking in the military given that it challenges effective operation of the military.
- According to some factions, some groups have been pushing for tobacco-free policies that will ensure that every member of the military does not take tobacco.
- Another argument has been to push an increase the age of the people that are required to purchase and smoke
- Additionally, the CDC suggested that there is a need to promote national wide effort to help military people to stop their smoking habit through training and medication.
By establishing countermeasures of tobacco smoking, the military will be in a good position to cut the military budget of 4% that goes to the health issues related to smoking.
Effects on Medical Readiness
- There has been an extreme strain on the resources meant for healthcare activities in the USA due to the exceedingly numerous cases of persons affected by E-cigarette and Tobacco usage.
- The CDC reported over 450 lung-illness cases resultant from E-cigarette usage as of 6th September 2019.
- These cases were spread through 33 states in the USA as well as one US territory.
- The reported cases can be misconstrued to be as a result of E-cigarette usage but the CDC is working towards classification of these cases in order to ensure that they have a complete and viable method of ascertaining the exact cases as they emerge.
- Through the extensive research done, there is little or no evidence attributing E-cigarettes to any form of infectious diseases therefore indicating that lung illness was only as a result of exposure to chemicals.
- There is no available of proof that a specific E-cigarette product caused lung-illnesses and thereby, this indicates that THC and other cannabinoid products contained in E-cigarette products were the major cause.
Signs and Symptoms of Cases
- There are various signs and symptoms associated with the use of E-cigarettes and more so, tobacco. In this section, we shall delve into these symptoms that result in an implication of severe pulmonary disease.
- The disease is a culmination of the effects of use of E-cigarettes as a transition from the initial use of tobacco.
- It is normally advised that any tobacco user should avoid the use of E-cigarettes which may contain (THC’s) tetrahydrocannabinol and other cannabinoid products.
- Some of the signs and symptoms may include:
- Respiratory symptoms like:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains
These symptoms generally upshot from a strain on the lungs’ breathing mechanisms due to the consistent and extensive consumption of tobacco and E-cigarettes.
- Gastrointestinal symptoms like:
Such symptoms may occur over a span of a few days after the use of E-cigarette substances which may condense and get ingested into the gut system.
- Non-specific symptoms like:
- Weight loss
Due to the increased strain on various body organs, the body reacts by slowing down or completely shutting down some essential operations to mitigate and counter the effects of tobacco and E-cigarettes.
Recommendations for the Public
- The youth should desist from the use of tobacco and E-cigarettes which may adversely affect their health statuses.
- Pregnant or expectant women should avoid E-cigarettes usage as this may end up affecting their unborn babies’ cognitive and motor functions.
- In the even that it is unavoidable for a person to use E-cigarette products, then, they should not purchase them off the streets since they may contain THC as well as other cannabinoids.
- Those adult persons who are already accustomed to the use of tobacco should in no event begin to use E-cigarette products as this may essentially destroy their health and lives on an overall scale.
- Modification in whatsoever way of E-cigarette products by user should be avoided at all costs. The manufacturer’s ‘recipe’ of the products should be used as is and no tweaks should be made to it.
- Where an E-cigarette or tobacco addicted person is trying to desist from the habit, they should seek medical help through counselling programs and FDA-approved medications only. The above is only applicable after seeking consult from a qualified doctor or specialist.